This volume provides readers with the important information they need to understand the basic concepts, philosophical and ethical arguments, possibilities, and consequences of biotechnology.
This resource introduces students and researchers to the fundamentals of biotechnology using easy-to-understand language that gives readers a solid start and deeper understanding and appreciation of this complex subject.
The 134 articles include 109 entries that explain the basic principles of biotechnology, ranging from Alternative Energy Sources to Zygomycetes, with attention paid to Cloning; Synthetic Fuels, Medicinal Plants, Stem Cell Research & Technology; Genetically Modified Organisms; and more.
This volume also features 23 biographies of key figures in biotechnology that include a description of each individual's significant contributions to the field, ranging from David Baltimore to David Norton Zinder.
Entries related to basic principles and concepts include the following:
- Fields of study to illustrate the connections between the topic and the various branches of science related to biotechnology;
- An Abstract that provides brief, concrete summary of the topic and how the entry is organized;
- Text that gives an explanation of the background and significance of the topic to biotechnology as well as describing the way a process works, how a procedure or technique is applied to achieve important goals related to the environment, health, nutrition, industry, and agriculture.
- Illustrations that clarify difficult concepts via models, diagrams, and charts of such key topics as biomechanical engineering and DNA fingerprinting;
- Further reading lists that relate to the entry.
Entries related to important figures in biotechnology include the following:
- A brief overview of the individual and his or her contributions;
- Key dates and biographical data;
- Primary field(s) and specialties;
- Sidebars explaining the individual's significant advances, inventions, or discoveries;
- Text that provides information about the scientist’s
- Early Life, Life’s Work, and Impact;
- Further Reading
Helpful Indexes include:
- Timeline of Inventions and Scientific Advancements in Biotechnology
- General Bibliography
- Subject Index