Principles of Mathematics introduces the fundamentals of mathematics using easy-to-understand language, giving readers a solid start and deeper understanding of this complex subject.
- Euclidian Geometry
- Linear Algebra
- Number Theory
- Differential Equations
- Game Theory
- Mathematical Physics
- Probability and Statistics
Written in easy-to-understand language, Principles of Mathematics discusses 150 topics related to the study of mathematics. It’s hard to think of an aspect of modern life that isn’t influenced in some way by mathematical concepts, and good math background is required for many different types of work, so these informative entries will be useful to a wide audience. Readers will find in-depth, yet accessible, information on:
- Foundational topics: addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, exponentials and logarithms, rational and irrational numbers, algebra, trigonometry, and geometry;
- Advanced fields: matrices, differential equations, mathematical modeling, number theory, theoretical math, and polar coordinate systems;
- Careers related to mathematics: accounting, architecture, vision correction, information technology, virtual reality, insurance, genetics, medical imaging, biomathematics and more;
- Concrete topics like probability, statistics, measurement, and mathematical education;
- Abstract topics like pi, zero, infinity, and proof;
- And general math-related information like math throughout history, succeeding in mathematics and math anxiety.
Each entry includes an Abstract that provides a brief, concrete summary of the topic and its significance; a detailed Essay that provides extensive background on the topic and explores its significance to the field of mathematics; and a list of Further Reading for those who wish to pursue the topic in more depth. This resource will be a helpful tool for students and researchers who are just beginning their study of mathematics and need a solid background of related key terms and elements.